Outlook - Google's Gmail Set-Up
A Google email account (Gmail) can be accessed via Microsoft's Outlook program. Before we can begin to configure a Gmail account, we first must make sure your Gmail account is configured to allow for access through Outlook.
- First log into your Gmail account normally and navigate to the main access screen below.
- From the main access screen click on the settings link.
- The Settings Screen
- Locate and click the "Forwarding and POP" tab at the top.
Forwarding and POP:
- Make sure that POP is enabled or enable it now.
The drag down menu allows for the option of deleting emails through the Outlook client. Feel free to select which ever setting you prefer here. After you have checked the bullet to enable pop connections and selected an inbox option, feel free to click and Save Changes.
After enabling POP, Outlook will be able to connect to Gmail's server and download your email but first, we must now configure the email account in Outlook.
Outlook - Configuring a Gmail Account
- Open up Outlook and make sure you are working with the mail client by pressing Ctrl+Shift+M. Once in mail mode select Tools>Account Settings... to bring up the Outlook Email Accounts Menu.
- Click the New icon to create a new email account.
Create New Account:
- Another menu will pop up asking about what type of email account to set up. Use the default setting at the top. (Microsoft Exchange Server, POP3, IMAP, or HTTP) and press Next
Select POP3 Option:
- A form pops up next. Fill out the form with your information using your Gmail email account as the account address and use the same password as you do to log into your Gmail account. Before pressing next, be sure to check the box that says "Manually Configure server settings".
Account Info Form:
- Another prompt appears asking for the type of Email service. Select the first option for POP, IMAP, and/or Hotmail.
Email Service Prompt:
- Another prompt appears asking for specifics about the account. Fill out the name, use pop.gmail.com for the Incoming mail server (POP3) and smtp.gmail.com for the Outgoing mail server (SMTP). Use your full email account name email@example.com and fill in your password. When finished filling in each field, click the More Settings button.
- Clicking the More Settings button launches an option window with four tabs across the top. Move to the Outgoing Server tab and check the box that says "My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication.
- Then move over to the Advanced Tab. A few things need to be adjusted in this tab. First change the Incoming Mail port to 995 and check the box underneath that says "This server requires authentications (SSL)." Then change the Outgoing Mail port to 465 and switch the type of authentication to SSL by selecting it from the drop down listing.
- Double check all of the steps above and the press OK. You will be taken again to the Account Info form, this time click OK. A congratulations message appears saying that you have sucessfully configured the account, pressing the finish button returns you to the Email Account Menu where you should see your newly configured Gmail Account!.
New Gmail Account!:
To receive email from this account setting press F9 from your Outlook Inbox and wait for a connection and then watch as your old emails are downloaded from the Gmail server. Congratulations on setting up your Gmail Account!
Found Something Wrong in this Lesson?
Report a Bug or Comment on This Lesson - Your input is what keeps Tizag improving with time!